Wood Road Bridge over Cohocton River

This locally administered federal aid project involved the rehabilitation of a historic truss bridge built in 1897. The bridge was a 207-foot, single-span wrought iron through truss bridge carrying Wood Road over the Cohocton River. Erdman Anthony provided in-depth bridge inspection, material testing and sampling, load rating, survey and mapping, hydraulic analysis, environmental screening, preliminary and final bridge design, construction support, and construction inspection services. Fisher Associates provided design services for geotechnical design and maintenance and protection of traffic.

Coordination with the State Historic Preservation Office was required as the bridge was eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. The bridge was significant as an intact, representative example of a pin-connected, wrought iron, Baltimore truss bridge. The Baltimore truss design is a late nineteenth century adaptation of the Pratt truss design that incorporates sub-struts to form middle panel points for longer spans. The bridge also contained Phoenix tube compression members (patented in 1862) that were a significant technological advance in truss bridge construction.

The rehabilitation included the replacement of the timber deck, stringers, and floorbeams. Several pin-connected eye-bar tension members were replaced and several built-up members were strengthened. In addition, the stone abutments were re-pointed, the bridge seats were reconstructed, and the bearings were rehabilitated. A car-top boat launch with parking area was also constructed at the site as part of the project.

Project Accolades

  • Project Awards
  • 2006 Silver Award - American Council of Engineering Companies, New York (ACEC)

Project Details

Location

Campbell, NY

Owner

Steuben County Department of Public Works

Construction Cost

$820K

Project Contact

William McCormick, PE
  • William McCormick, PE
  • 585-427-8888 x 1080
Bookmark and Share