This project reconfigures access between the U.S. Peace Bridge and I-190 in Buffalo. A new NB ramp (Ramp D) provides a direct connection to I-190, including a new structure over CSX railway tracks. Portions of Ramps C and N were rebuilt to accommodate the new ramp. Porter Avenue Bridge over the CSX tracks and I-190 was reconstructed and includes a roundabout with two realigned ramps. The Riverwalk trail was realigned and includes new bridges over CSX tracks and I-190.The roadway going through Front Park was eliminated and the park restored to its original configuration.
This is a multi-year staged construction project. The bid includes a time component for completion. The contractor worked all winter and is working two shifts during the summer of 2015 and 2016 to meet the scheduled completion date and claim the incentive bonus.
- Temporarily relocate existing Ramp N while building the lowered tunnel section for new Ramp N. Close Ramp C temporarily.
- Demolish and reconstruct the existing pedestrian trail and bridge over CSX tracks and I-190
- Construct Ramp D over Ramp N
- Reconnect Ramp C
Stage 2 & 3
- Shift traffic and reconstruct Porter Avenue over I-190 and CSX – one half at a time
- Build Porter Avenue round-about including new ramp connections to Peace Bridge and I-190.
- Rebuild Ramp A to the Peace Bridge.
- Reconstruct pumping station access road.
- Modify Front Park entrance and paths; remove Baird Drive roadway from Park.