This $4.6 million Locally Administered Federal Aid Project involved the replacement of a 195-foot-long single-span steel-truss bridge over the Hoosic River in Pittstown, Rensselaer County. Built in 1891, the bridge is National Register-eligible based upon the Historic Bridge Survey. The project consisted of a bridge replacement and bridge-approach improvement. Funding sources included the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT), and Rensselaer County.
Erdman Anthony completed the preliminary design phases of this project in accordance with the current procedures in the Locally Administered Federal Aid (LAFA) Project Manual, the Design Procedure Manual (DPM), and the appropriate section of the Federal-Aid Policy Guide (FAPG). Erdman Anthony retained a subconsultant to perform the Phase IA literature review and archeological sensitivity assessment, as well as the Phase IB archeological field reconnaissance, which included the environmental services needed during the preliminary design phase of the project. RK Hite & Co. Inc. provided the right-of-way incidental services for this project and provided final design-phase right-of-way acquisition services.
Erdman Anthony and Rensselaer County worked with NYSDOT and New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation to determine that the existing structure would be rehabilitated and retained onsite, just downstream from its current location, as a pedestrian-only bridge. A new bridge was constructed just on the existing alignment to accommodate all vehicular traffic and meet current design standards. The new structure is a two-span, continuous-steel multi-girder structure, with a center pier in the Hoosic River.