The Presidents’ House

Using the latest 3D laser scanning technology, Erdman Anthony collected archeological data from the first Presidents’ House in Philadelphia.

Philadelphia archeologists from the National Park Service had unearthed a key piece of history on Independence Mall. After two months of digging, they discovered the remains of the house where Presidents George Washington and John Adams lived from 1790 to 1800.

Given the sensitive nature of the dig, Erdman Anthony used the latest 3D laser scanning technology to gather electronic images of the site. The benefits of laser scanning survey services include highly detailed 3D data, safer and less intrusive field operations, and enhanced visual capabilities.

Erdman Anthony's scanners collect data at a rate of 4,000 points per second, which rapidly reduces the data collection time while increasing the level of detail collected. This level of detail proves invaluable; should the NPS request additional data from the site, it is now readily available from the original scan. This proved exceptionally valuable given that the excavation was open for only a short time, after which the site was preserved to commemorate history. The home, which served as the prototype for today's Oval Office, had been destroyed in 1832.

Project Accolades

  • Project Awards
  • Project Articles
  • 2008 Diamond Honor Award - American Council of Engineering Companies, Pennsylvania (ACEC)

Project Details

Location

Philadelphia, PA

Owner

U.S. National Park Service

Project Contact

Bryan Merritt, PSM/LS
  • Bryan Merritt, PSM/LS
  • 561-753-9723 x 6017
Bookmark and Share