Erdman Anthony provided preliminary engineering, final design, and construction inspection services for the construction of a new 3,320-track-foot industrial spur to serve an expanding industrial park in Massena, NY, that is owned by the Business Development Corporation for a Greater Massena and the St. Lawrence County Industrial Development Agency.
Key project features included:
- Assistance with funding-source identification and grant writing
- Evaluation of seven potential single- and multitrack alignments for providing rail access to various parcels in the industrial park
- Examination of various turnout locations in the mainline to satisfy the operating railroad’s requirements while maximizing the length of usable on-site track
- Environmental screenings and State Environmental Quality Review Act documentation
- Extensive coordination with property owners and potential rail users in the park
- Plan preparation and coordination to obtain a sidetrack agreement and approval from the operating railroad and NYSDOT
- Construction support and inspection services
Notably, the final spur alignment provides access to seven parcels in the park and was designed to avoid having any impact on the state and federal wetlands at the site.